Tuesday, October 4, 2011

300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes!

Do you have a rice cooker?

Do you want an excuse to buy a rice cooker?

Okay besides just a sweet gadget for purchase, a rice cooker is a go to for healthy meals. Someone even told my sister recently "You don't have a rice cooker? You can't be a vegetarian without a rice cooker!"

Now personally I've always been more of a pasta person, as someone who has always had a stomach for Italian cuisine, I've made lots and lots of risotto which is rice,  I haven't really ventured to far into the world of other rices. Don't get me wrong, I'll serve it up as a side with fish, or inside a burrito. I'm a major lover of Zatarains, but as for cooking up a meal with rice as the main dish? I've never quite made it that far.

So when I got 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes  by Katie Chin I couldn't wait to dive in... with my fork.

The book starts out with information about rice, the different types of rice (and man there are TONS!), types of grains, and types of legumes (did you know you could cook all that in a rice cooker?) It also goes into rice cookers and helps consumers to decide which one is best for them!

Now recipes because I know that's what you've all been waiting for!  First off I'll tell you about the sushi recipes, hoo-rah, we were excited to see those, personally I'm not one for sushi but my daughter's father LOVES it, so I'm glad that I can finally give a hand at it, and maybe I'll be more likely to give it a try if I make it myself!

I was really happy to see some breakfast recipes in there, I like being able to leave something overnight and then eat it in the morning, the "Honey Apple Brown Rice Porridge" made with almond milk sounds like a wholesome vegan breakfast that even meat and dairy eaters can enjoy! (Living in California we know LOTS of vegans)

As for Appetizers I'm into the "Thai Shrimp Cakes with Mango Coconut Sauce", seasoned with lemongrass and ginger, made with jasmine rice I could see myself ordering this off a menu at a Thai Restaurant, but instead I'll just make it at home and have LOTS of leftovers!

After my own heart a soup recipe made with farro! Yum! "Farro Minestrone" is on my list of have to eats this winter!

I could go on and on with fabulous recipes from this book (remember there are 300 of them in here) but instead I'll leave you with this final dessert recipe "Coconut Red Rice Pudding" coconut milk, brown sugar, pistachios.... 

So if you're like me and find yourself forever short of creative recipes! Give this book a read, it retails for $24.95 in the US!

I received a free copy of "300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes" for this review. All opinions are my own. I did not receive any cash payment for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment