Sunday, October 30, 2011

300 Best Potato Recipes!

Potatoes.

When my mother was a child, my Nana took her too the doctor fearing that she had an unhealthy dislike for mashed potatoes. Surly her daughter would  have some sort of problem without eating them. But my  Nana didn't have to worry, the doctor told her my mother would be fine, and that she should just feed her pasta....

I'm Irish, so I'm pretty sure its a DNA thing.  

So when I'm offered a book with The 300 Best Potato Recipes compiled by Kathleen Sloan-McIntosh, I could hardly contain myself (hello that means I only have to figure out 65 other recipes for the whole year)

I love potatoes, they are healthy, there are so many different kinds and since reading this book I have learned more information about potatoes then I even knew that there was! 

First I learned about all the different kinds of potatoes! And yes there are LOTS of types of potatoes out there! 

The collection of Potato Soup recipes were a great way to great the chilly winter. Thinking about trying the

  • Creamy Potato and Four Onion Soup
  • Potato and Leek Soup


Can't wait to try out a few of these appetizers with my local mother's group
  • Spiced Potato Ribbons
  • Sweet Potato-Crusted Shrimp (okay dinner tomorrow)
  • Sweet Potato Hush Puppies

These light meals are great lunches to bring to work
  • Potato Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream
  • Herb and Garlic Roasted Mini Potatoes with Penne (two starches hallelujah)
  • Pan Haggerty (Irish roots run deep)
Side dishes are classic for potatoes, and these dishes bring no disappointments. Its easy to return to the same old 'mashed' or 'baked' varieties. These bring a whole new life to your meal. These are wonderful ways to bring some different flavors to a basic roast chicken and veggies! Why not add some pizzazz to your meal with your sides! And keep the meat healthy and simple!

  • Pommes Boulanerie
  • Souffle Wafer Potatoes
  • Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apple Crisp Topping

What about main dishes? Yes you can cook potatoes with a few other ingredients and have a hearty filling meal that the entire family enjoys!

  • Lamb Shoulder with Potatoes and Tomatoes
  • Crisp Potato-Wrapped Halibut (I tried something similar at a fancy Italian Restaurant once)
  • Cottage Pie for Mac
  • Short Ribs of Beef with Soaked Spuds
Lastly I'm going to leave you with desserts, yes even potato desserts. I've always believed that potatoes were an amazing food and this book makes me smile every-time I open it!
  • Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Sweet Potato Ice Cream!
  • Dark Chocolate and Orange Potato Cheesecake
  • Spice and Maple Sweet Potato Cookies (wow them at Thanksgiving)
This book will answer all of your potato questions and give you ideas that are new and exciting for everyday. Its inspired me to try growing a hundred pounds of potatoes in a wine barrel like these people here

I wonder how many of these recipes I can make with a hundred pounds??

Get your own copy and eat potatoes everyday!



I received a free copy of The 300 Best Potato Recipes for this review, all opinions are 100% mine. I did not receive any cash payment for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment