Friday, February 26, 2010

Gardening in Pots



HOORAY! Its time to plant for spring, well those really early veggies anyways

I saw a sign a few weeks ago advertising $2.99 refurbished pots. I thought it had to be good to be true, but so far folks, its been just as good as I had hoped.

So on Monday, I went to the store and bought five.

thats right $2.99 each!

Then I went to Harmony Farm Supply 
Its such a wonderful place, they have everything, I mean this is California, and I'm from the northeast coast, so what they can grow out here is just incredible. I love it here.

I could walk around for hours
and I have.

But this trip was short, just for a few early veggies, and some herbs to have on hand,
now that I have such fancy pots, I can have some herbs stick around for a while.

 I had scored a free bag of Organic soil, from someone on freecycle. It was a hike to get to the ladies house, who lived 'just outside town' (apparently that means a half hour). But the soil was well worth the trip.

My list was

Lettuce
Carrots (dwarf)
Rosemary
Basil
Thyme
Peas
Snap Peas
Morning Glory Seeds


The basil I'll admit, was a little hopeful  for this time of year, I should have bought some seeds to put on my windowsill, but forgot

I crossed most things off my list

Lettuce
Carrots (dwarf)
Rosemary
Basil
Thyme
Peas
Snap Peas
Morning Glory Seeds
*Celery

*I added the celery, I use it a lot, and it says on the tag that I can "harvest singly for continuous supply", I think this will be a much cheaper option then buying bunches of celery, I never use them all. And I love the subtle flavor celery adds to a dish, you can't leave it out of a stuffing!

In honor of the celery, here is my 'Redventure' Celery


Next up some Moss Curled Parsley, after cooking so many recipes from my 
Carmine's Family-Style Cookbook: More Than 100 Classic Italian Dishes to Make at Home
I've needed a lot of tablespoons of parsley! Again, a lot goes to waste, no matter how many times I tell myself that I'm going to dehydrate it!

I also picked up some 'Tuscan blue' rosemary. I don't use rosemary dried very often, mostly because I don't have a mortar and pestle
Celtic Soapstone Mortar & Pestle Set

But I love the way that it tastes fresh, especially rosemary potatoes, I think that is my favorite way to have rosemary. I thought that it would look beautiful when it blooms, because its about the same color



Last but not least, Ryan's favorite herb, thyme. I chose the 'True English, broad leaf' variety, my thyme got a little out of control last year in the garden, so I'll have to be more on top of it this year,  the more you trim the bigger it gets! Last year I was madly pregnant, so I would be gardening for a week straight, and then sleeping all day the next!

I also got some Sugar Snap Pole Peas, and an 'Encore Mix' of Lettuce which has Dark Lolla Rosa, Firecracker, Red Saladbowl, Tango, and Paris Island.

Yes, you may come over for a salad

There was no more soil left for these so they will be potted tomorrow when I have more dirt!

Oh one last outdoor pic, these are the seedlings from the seed paper card that Ryan got me. These are the ones that I started outside

I can't wait to see what flowers come out of it!

The ones on my windowsill will be first for sure! They are growing like wildflowers! (and they should cause thats what they are) They always photograph well!


and another one from the other side

Thats it for the gardening, I'm anxiously awaiting more soil so that my peas and lettuce can spread their roots! I bought ten more pots today, so I'm sure that should be enough to hold me over for a while!


No comments:

Post a Comment