Monday, April 26, 2010

"10 Little Things that Lead to a Happier, Healthier You."

I decided to participate in this twitter party because since I've made these few small changes to my day, I have felt much healthier. They are simple, and I noticed a difference in about a month. I didn't do all these at once, I probably started them all over the course of a year (being pregnant helped me be healthier as well) I continue to try to stay healthy, because I know its easy to fall back into old habits.

  1.  No Hydrogenated Oils. I know, you've heard it before, but cut them out for about three months, and when you eat them, you WILL notice how shitty they make you feel.
  2. No High Fructose Corn Syrup: It was HARD to get over my addiction to Coca-Cola, at one point in my life I drank at least a twelve pack a day. But when I got pregnant with annabella I vowed to cut it out (I didn't do very well) When she was breastfeeding, any caffeine was noticeable instantly! So I cut it out, I had a sip of one about three weeks ago and it tasted DISGUSTING! 
  3. Breakfast:  Personally I go with a bowl of maple oatmeal with: walnuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and cinnamon. And a glass of cranberry juice. I've found I have much more energy for the day with breakfast. Sometimes I'll have a grapefruit, but I find that oatmeal fills me up better.
  4. Letting Daddy take the car: Another hard one, I am an almost everyday grocery shopper, I decide whats for dinner that day most of the time. At first the walk to the grocery store seemed long, but then it seemed half the time, not its pretty much across the street in my scope of things. Now that the weather is nice, I use my stroller as my cart, and walk all over downtown running my errands. Annabella loves going for walks, and I get great exercise. Its much easier to not have to get the baby in and out of the car every time we stop; and I don't feel bad about turning the car on and off all day.
  5. Gardening: Fresh veggies from the garden have lots of amino acids and nutrients that go away within hours after being picked from the vine; and the difference is clear when you taste them. I also love the accomplishment of having a salad from my garden. I just mastered lettuce and it is SO YUMMY! Also, it turned out to be easier to grow then I thought. I have a great tan, and this slug battle while frustrating, is primitive and fun!
  6. Yoga: I have a eight month old and a flat stomach! Well, almost flat.. either way I feel great about myself. The mamas at my yoga class are wonderful, and annabella loves having other friends to play with!
  7. Acupuncture: I started having acupuncture done for my mood swings and back pain while I was pregnant. Everybody noticed a difference! The acupuncturist who I go to is so kind, she really cares and even has offered to come to my house if I need it. I don't think I'll be having her over anytime soon though, because I get an hour of ME time. After she puts the needles in, I get about forty-five minutes of relaxation with some music.... can you say Ahhhhhhh..
  8. Local Bee Products: I'm all about buying local, but when you buy local bee products, everybody benefits! When you eat bee pollen, and honey from local bees, it help your immune system fight allergies! It really works, I swear by it. I love going to the farmers market and seeing what kind of honey my local bee keeper has in store. We are about to start keeping some bees ourselves! A friend of ours has been keeping them with his family since before he can remember! I'll be sure to keep you updated on them!
  9. Cooking from Scratch: I use fewer preservatives, and fresher ingredients! Also my food tastes much better then anything that comes in a box. I feel such a sense of satisfaction, when I pull some pizza dough out of the oven that I have made from FLOUR! Besides that I am getting nice arms from all this stirring and kneading!
  10. Water: My Nana always kept water in the fridge, thankfully, it has caused me to be addicted to water.  I drink at least 10 glasses a day, Most of them are at room temperature, which helps your body to absorb nutrients better. However, I do drink ice cold water when I'm hot, nothing cools you down better. BONUS: Ice water burns calories!

So there is my advice, I hope it helps some of you! To learn more about the campaign HERE

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Tropicana Trop50 blogging program to be eligible to win 6 free Juicy Rewards points and a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” 




Here is a code you can redeem to get one juicy point. Visit The Juicy Rewards page to learn how you can save money. Code:TWMOM-READR. (This one-time use code is valid for new accounts ONLY. Must be entered within 6 hours of creating your account. Limit one new account bonus code per new account. All accounts must be created and all codes entered UPDATE! twittermoms just let me know that I posted the wrong dates, the contest ends on the May 7th 2010 at 11:59pm EST, ::not June 30th as previously stated::)

3 comments:

  1. This is truly a great post. You've definitely inspired me to get back on track and live healthily! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you are saying about Coke, it tasted like sludge after I hadn't had it for a while when I was younger. But now, I am allergic to corn, so a lot of foods have become inedible for me. That is definitely a hard thing to do, even if just cutting out High Fructose Corn syrup. Many people don't realize just how many things it is really in.

    I have been getting my lifestyle back into the healthy as well and am started to blog about tips and tricks, or just things in general that are working well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete