Mmmm.... Chicken and dumplings... I was recently informed that this is not chicken and dumplings but its chicken and biscuits. Due to the fact that I bake them and make them crispy, either way its a favorite in our house. I came up with this recipe because I wanted a quick and easy version of one of my favorites. In the recipe I will put substitutions for what you can use if you don't have what I did on hand.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 peeled carrots (these don't have to be fresh, frozen will work fine
- about 4 cups of frozen veggies (I used peas, green beans, and corn any veggies that you like will work just fine)
- Spices (I recommend, savory, Bell's Seasoning, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, celery salt, rosemary, parsley and bay leaves) a pinch of each, You can change this as you see fit
- Salt and Pepper
1. Gather all your ingredients, Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces, season with spices and salt and pepper, mix so evenly coated
Tip: Bells seasoning comes in a box for some reason, I like to put it in an old spice jar so it keeps better for longer. Paint Markers work great for writing on glass
thats the seasoned chicken
2. Heat the Olive oil in a dutch oven or heavy saucepan, over medium heat (never put your dutch oven on high).
3.When it starts to sizzle add the chicken. Cook until golden on both sides or white all the way through
4. Meanwhile cut the carrots into half inch thick slices
5. When the chicken is all cooked
Add the broth
And the carrots
6. Bring this to a boil
7. Now you can be creative, go into your freezer and pull out whatever frozen veggies you have
measure out 4 cups, make sure your chicken doesn't get into it!
now pour it into your soup. Turn it down to low and leave it to simmer
We are going to make BISCUITS!
My camera battery died halfway through my biscuit procedure, which is no good! But I promise to update this week with another biscuit tutorial so you can understand what everything looks like!
- 2cups white flour (I like to replace1/2 c white flour with 1/2 c whole wheat flour when I have it
- 4tsp baking powder
- 3/4tsp salt
- 4tbsp unsalted butter
- 1c buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk don't worry, just add 1tbsp white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes before using, I do this often and it works every time)
Preheat the oven to 400
1. Whisk or sift together the flours, baking powder and salt
2. Add the butter and blend it together with your fingers, it will look like crumbs, you can use a pastry cutter if you don't want to use your hands, but they are gonna have to get dirty anyway
this is where my camera died
3. Make a well in the middle of the four mix, and pour the buttermilk into the middle
4. mix together until evenly wet, the mix will be VERY wet
5. Generously flour a surface, put the biscuit mix onto the surface and kneed until it is manageable
6. Cut the dough into 12-14 pieces and drop the balls on top of the soup, put it in the preheated oven with no top and bake for 15-20 min until golden brown
(this also coincidently is the same time it takes for my camera to charge
ooo crusty top
whats hiding under there?
Hello to all my new followers thank you so much for all the love! I have been very busy checking out blogs today! There are so many talented mommies out there!